Monday, April 19, 2010

Band Bloggin' Bandwagon

What better time is there try publicizing the band "Heavy Ethics" through blogging than a couple of years too late? It's true that we move at a glacial pace. Many bands have gone through their entire life cycle, broken up, and reunited in the same period of time during which seem to have done little other than to drift nonchalantly into Not My Dog* every few weeks, run through our needlessly complicated tunes, bash everyone over the head with our dark, pounding improvisations, and then down our drinks either jubilantly or sheepishly (depending on how bad the gig was). However, I don't feel that it makes sense to compare us with other musical acts. I think that novelists provide us with a much more appropriate yardstick. Did you know that the average age at which a writer's first novel is published is 35? That's the kind of relaxed timeline that makes me feel better about myself.

At least I've come up with a bunch of new compositions for the Heavy Ethics band - I wrote more music in the past year than in the previous ten - although we've only managed to give rehearsal time to one of them so far. I believe James also has some very exciting, complex music ready to go. Maybe one thing we could do with this blog is chronicle our meager progress by posting demos of the new pieces, and follow them up with increasingly less terrible rehearsal performances. I'm also going to put up videos, because people like to see James sweat.

Anyway, yet another one of these Not My Dog performances is coming up this Friday, April 23, starting at 10:00 PM. We're playing new music for the first time in about two years - it's a new piece written by me which attempts to depict the travails of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Gordon Brown. If that doesn't interest you, I hear the back patio is quite popular, and since we get a cut of the bar proceeds, I'm quite happy for you to head on back there and ignore us.

*Not My Dog doesn't seem to have a website anymore, but if you're reading this, you probably know where it is already.

No comments:

Post a Comment