Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Malice


The way I write a piece of music is usually to take an introductory idea that occurred to me years ago and finally make something out of it. The other two methods are turning on Sibelius and just inputting some random notes, and noodling around on the organ. "Malice", which hasn't been performed by Heavy Ethics (in fact they've never even seen or heard it before, except for about one page of a much earlier version - I'm sure they don't remember), is an idea I came up with in the fall of 2004. Only last year did I bother to take it up and finish it. I ended up shovelling in elements from a separate "noodling on the organ" piece and found that it just barely seemed to make sense.

I'm not really going for a lot of motivic rigour here, even though I usually strive for it. (Elliott Carter once said "I hate rigour", which I figure gives me license not to be rigourous once in a while.) This could end up being a guitar/piano/drums piece or a bass/piano/drums piece. Originally it was for bass, but the lack of guitar numbers (or at least guitar numbers that people like to play) in our set was slightly troubling. I don't know if it works this way, and I'll probably change the ending (no idea what I was thinking when I came up with it). I admit freely that this piece is much too complicated.

Here's a link to a horrible, mechanical MIDI demo of this piece:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UCDM4XCU

And here's the score (I'm sure there's a way to upload a file this small right here on the blog, but I have no idea how):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVTTNCP6

Leave some comments. Obviously only James and maybe Rommel if he's super-bored will read this, but I'm optimistic that at some point in the future someone who isn't in the band might be also be bored enough to look at this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment